Case Study 2Food Manufacturer and Distributor Develop Manpower Planning Capability
Spring Grant Application: Capability Development Grant (CDG)
Project Focus: To enhance Human Resources Capabilities for Expansion.
Project Objective: To develop a manpower planning processes capability to achieve business expansion.
Sector: Healthy Lifestyle – Tonics and Supplements
Nature of Business: Manufacturing and Distribution
Countries of Business Operated: Singapore, China and Malaysia
Key factors identified affecting business expansion and development:
- No experience manpower to start establishing their business plan, especially in area where the company is not the strength of their business.
- Resources is in short supply within the company especially experienced and quality manpower in sales and logistic support.
- Current organisational structure is not the best to support the expansion.
- No budget allocation planned for any manpower planning to support expansion.
- No skill-knowledge gap analysis to understand the SWOT of their people.
To enhance the manpower planning capacity by implementing a comprehensive system to meet the expansion of the business. The diagnostic concluded that,
- Human resources must meet the new organisational structure to support business expansion.
- System must have capability to perform needs analysis for current and future manpower requirements.
- Budgeting of manpower planning must be one of the deliverable.
- Manpower planning must contribute increase in profitability achieving long term business objectives.
Approach and Recommendation
Our consultants led a cross-functional team with our client to build a robust and comprehensive manpower planning system. Through a series of systematic diagnostic processes, the project team established a manpower planning framework, contextualise and align to business growth plan for client’s long term expansion strategy.
Working closely together with the client’s management team, our consultants established the following:
- Refine their business objectives to clearly define their goals focusing to achieve short term and long term financial profitability, and achieve business continuity.
- Recommend re-organising the company reporting structure to match and support business objectives. (Profitability to support initiatives)
- Define roles and responsibility of critical resources (key managers) to hold on key roles.
- Create new department/section to match initiatives.
- Redefine roles and responsibilities of staff to support business objectives.
- Craft the manpower framework, process and procedure, budgeting, step-by-step guidebook and instructions, complete with forms and documentation.
- Complete with project budget and forecast of sales for YR2015/2016.
- Recommended to start manpower planning with sales and marketing group. – Lifeline of the business to ensure continuous income to support initiative.
The Results Were Amazing
Key milestones achieved:
- Setting clear business targets aligning with long term business expansion strategy.
- Established organisational structure with clear roles and responsibilities to support business growth.
- A robust process and procedures for manpower planning to support business expansion and growth plan.
- Established documented and forms for manpower planning.